Thursday, May 9, 2013

Centers: Lego Music










At the Lego Music center, students create rhythm patterns with pre-marked Lego pieces.

To download a Smartboard file that can be used to prepare students for this center, click here.

I bought flat sheets of Lego base sheets at Wal-Mart, and cut them into strips. I took the (2-bump) Lego pieces and wrote numbers on them (1 to 4) to represent the beats. I put them on the base strip and added 4 bar lines.

I drew on each of the Lego pieces as follows:
 Once students have created their 4-bar rhythm pattern, they copy it onto their Lego worksheet.
Click here to download the worksheet.


Students can then practice playing their rhythm on an instrument.





















16 comments:

  1. I LOVE this idea!!! Would I be able to get your PDF Lego Worksheet and Lego Center Poster download?
    Thanks!
    ~Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  2. These center ideas are amazing! I have a few of my own, but it really helps to share ideas, and also so beneficial for students to be able to learn in different kinestetic ways. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What are the music dice mentioned on the jobs sheet? I do similar things with younger students using mega blocks but I would like to invest in some smaller leggos and make this happen for my older students! THANK YOU!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there! The music dice are by Denise Gagne - a set came with the music carpet we ordered from Themes & Variations for our music classroom! They have a rhythm on each side (ie. quarter note, half note, dotted half, whole, quarter rest, 2 eighths)...

      Delete
  4. I absolutely love this and I know my students will as well! I am looking for the long rectangular plates shown in your pictures. I've looked on amazon, but the longest one's I've found are 12 dots long. Where did you purchase yours? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I purchased mine on amazon.ca:
      http://www.amazon.ca/LEGO-Bricks-Building-Plate-studs/dp/B0039PUU08/ref=pd_sim_sbs_toys_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=1RE4G00NHS28H3TJA930

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Just with an Xacto knife - my school custodian helped me out!

      Delete
  6. Where did you get the storage containers?

    ReplyDelete
  7. did you purchase the legos yourself or the school? Legos aren't cheap!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello. Any way I could get a PDF of the Lego Center Poster?

    ReplyDelete
  9. what did you use to write on them? wouldn't sharpie rub off when they use them?

    ReplyDelete
  10. They make blocks already done...www.noteknacks.com... check them out :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great ideas! Could I get a pdf of the lego poster! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the idea! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete